Some Facts from the History of the Statehood of Udmurtia
The 1st All-Russian Congress of Udmurts convened in June 1918. The delegates expressed the urge of the Udmurt people towards a national rebirth and formulated the means to this end: self-determination, establishment of Udmurtia as an administrative-territorial entity, equality of nations, a rise in the cultural level of the Udmurt people and their ethnic self-awareness.
On November 4, 1920 the Soviet of People’s Commissars decreed the establishment of the Votskaya Autonomous Oblast, with the city of Glazov as its capital.
In late 1921 the Oblast Executive Committee made a decision to move the capital to Izhevsk.
In 1932 the oblast was renamed Udmurt Autonomous Oblast in accordance with the self-designation of its indigenous people.
In 1934 the oblast was transformed into the Udmurt Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic.
In the pre-war years the autonomous entity of the Udmurts was a part of various administrative entities, the republic became a full member of the Russian Federation only in 1936.
In 1937 the first Constitution of Udmurtia was adopted, and the Supreme Soviet of the Udmurt Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic was elected.
On September 20, 1990 the Declaration of the State Sovereignty of Udmurtia was adopted at the 3rd (special) session of the Supreme Council of the 12th convocation. This document has been a basis for the development and adoption of the Constitution of the Udmurt Republic, for signing Federal and Inter-Republican agreements, and for improving the republic’s legal system.
Since 1991 Udmurtia has been known as the Udmurt Republic.
On November 4, 1993 and April 26, 1994 the Supreme Council authorized the adoption of the state symbols, the State Flag and State Emblem of the Udmurt Republic.
The current Constitution of the Udmurt Republic was adopted on December 7, 1994.
The first ever presidential elections in the Udmurt Republic were held in 2000.